The business visitor category is for people who want to do business in the UK for a short time. This includes academic visitors, visiting professors, overseas news media representatives and film crews on location.
Other business purposes include:
- attending meetings (including interviews that have been arranged before entering the UK) or conferences;
- arranging deals, or negotiating or signing trade agreements or contracts;
- undertaking fact-finding missions;
- conducting site visits;
- delivering goods and passengers from abroad
- accompanying a tour group as a tour group courier
- speaking at a ‘one-off’ conference where this is not run as a commercial concern;
- representing a foreign manufacturer by coming to service or repair its products within their initial period of guarantee;
- representing a foreign machine manufacturer by coming to erect and install machinery too heavy to be delivered in one piece, as part of the contract of purchase and supply;
- interpreting or translating for visiting business persons acting as a monteur (a worker such as a fitter or service person) for up to 6 months to erect, dismantle, install, service, repair or advise on the development of foreign-made machinery;
- attending board meetings in the UK as a board-level director, provided the applicant is not employed by a UK company
- representing a computer software company by coming to install, debug or enhance their products.