Business Visitor

Business Visitor

The business visitor category is for people who want to do business in the UK for a short time. This includes academic visitors, visiting professors, overseas news media representatives and film crews on location.

Other business purposes include:

  • attending meetings (including interviews that have been arranged before entering the UK) or conferences;
  • arranging deals, or negotiating or signing trade agreements or contracts;
  • undertaking fact-finding missions;
  • conducting site visits;
  • delivering goods and passengers from abroad
  • accompanying a tour group as a tour group courier
  • speaking at a ‘one-off’ conference where this is not run as a commercial concern;
  • representing a foreign manufacturer by coming to service or repair its products within their initial period of guarantee;
  • representing a foreign machine manufacturer by coming to erect and install machinery too heavy to be delivered in one piece, as part of the contract of purchase and supply;
  • interpreting or translating for visiting business persons acting as a monteur (a worker such as a fitter or service person) for up to 6 months to erect, dismantle, install, service, repair or advise on the development of foreign-made machinery;
  • attending board meetings in the UK as a board-level director, provided the applicant is not employed by a UK company
  • representing a computer software company by coming to install, debug or enhance their products.
Get In Touch

  • Requirements


    Applicants must show that they:

    • are 18 or over;
    • intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if an academic visitor), except for doctors taking the PLAB test (in which case they can apply to extend the stay and undertake a clinical attachment if they pass the PLAB test);
    • intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit;
    • have enough money to support and accommodate themselves without working or help from public funds, or that they and their dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
    • are based abroad and do not intend to transfer your base to the UK, even temporarily;
    • receive their salary from abroad (although it is acceptableu to receive reasonable travel and subsistence expenses while in the UK);
    • are not replacing someone in the UK, including for temporary leave periods;
      can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
    • are not in transit to a country outside the ‘Common Travel Area’ (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands)

Popular Countries