New Zealand Student Visas

New Zealand Student Visas

International students (to New Zealand) require a visa to study in New Zealand.

To get a visa to study in New Zealand the intended course of study must meet the immigration requirements and be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).

Primary and secondary schools

Two main kinds of primary and secondary schools in New Zealand can offer places to international students. The main difference between the two is the way they are funded, which affects their ability to offer courses to international students.

  • State or integrated primary and secondary schools are funded by the New Zealand government. Schools accredited by New Zealand’s Ministry of Education can offer places to full fee-paying international students after all New Zealand domestic and NZAP scholarship students are placed.
  • Private primary and secondary schools are schools funded mainly through student fees. Provided they are accredited by the Ministry of Education, these schools can offer places equally to international students and New Zealand students.
  • Tertiary education providers can offer courses to international students if they meet certain conditions.


The applicant needs an offer of study from a valid New Zealand education provider, or a confirmation of enrolment/study if he/she is a returning student.

We can guide & assist you in applying for your student visa and to process for verification of local documentation.



Institutes and Universities The Visa Centre represents

  • Auckland University of Technology
  • Waiariki Institute of Technology
  • The Professional Bar & Restaurant School (PBRS)
  • Unitec Institute of Technology
  • Whitireia Community Polytechnic
  • NMIT (Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology)
  • Manukau Institute of Technology
  • Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki (WITT)
  • AWI International Education Group
  • National Institute of Studies New Zealand
  • Quantum Education Group
Get In Touch

  • Requirements / Conditions


    • Passport – valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay
    • An accepted offer of place
    • Health and character
    • Evidence of funds to support self and meet living cost and course fees
    • Proof of intention to leave at the expiry of the visa.

    Visa conditions

    Once a student visa is obtained, certain conditions must be met:

    • The student must attend the place of study noted on the visa. (Inform NZ Immigration of any changes)
    • If the student must be accompanied by a guardian, he/she must live with that person.
    • The student must show that he/she is passing the course and meeting
    • attendance requirements.
    • Only undertake work allowed by the student visa (part time).

    Conditions to work

    Student visa holders can work part time while studying full time, under certain circumstances:

    • meet course requirements for practical work experience, or
    • during the Christmas and New Year holiday period if in a full-time course of study lasting 12 months or longer, and/or
    • for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if in full-time study:
    • at a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or
    • culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
    • at a secondary school full year course of study in years 12 or 13, provided the student has written permission from his/her school and written consent from a parent
    • in a full-time study course lasting at least six months, at a private training establishment or tertiary institution to develop English language skills or
    • at a tertiary level of at least one academic year duration as part of an approved tertiary student exchange scheme.

    Partners and children of students

    Partners and dependent children will need to apply for a visitor visa or, if they will also be studying, their own student visa.

    Most partners and dependent children of student or work visa holders can be granted a visitor visa for the same duration as their partner or parents’ stay.


    Students have to be accompanied by a guardian (parent or legal guardian) if enrolled in years 1 to 8 of a school, or a student aged 13 or under and enrolled in a private training establishment.

Popular Countries