The Australian Skilled Independent Visa, allows migrants to live and work in Australia without a job or sponsorship. Eligibility for the general skilled migration is assessed on skills and work experience, based on meeting the required points under a points system.
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)This Visa Is Expired This visa type may no longer be available due to Governtment law changes. No further applications for this visa can be made. This page is for reference purposes only. Please contact us as we may be able to provide you with an alternative visa.
- be under 50 years of age
- meet the minimum requirement for English competency
- nominate and hold a skilled assessment for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List at the time of your application
- provide evidence of recent employment in a skilled occupation or have recently completed the Australian Study requirement
- meet health requirements
- meet character requirements.
Successful applicants get a permanent residence visa. It allows the applicant and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that a resident return visa is required).