This type of visa is for people who have a close relative living in Australia (who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen) but none in any other country.
- have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
- have the consent and sponsorship of that family member/relative
- have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia. The same applies for the applicant’s partner/spouse
- meet health requirements
- meet character requirements
Other family members may be included in the application if they meet certain requirements.
Successful applicants may:
- work and/or study in Australia
- receive government benefits such as subsidised healthcare
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods and certain restrictions relating to that visa)