To be eligible for this visa, the applicant (parent) must pass the “balance of family test”. Passing the test will mean that the parent will have more children in Australia than in any part of the world, and the sponsors are settled in Australia. The child needs to have lived in Australia for two years immediately prior to the application.
The applicant must also pass the health and character requirements.
If the applicant is a working age parent, then the application must usually be lodged outside Australia.
An Aged Parent is someone who qualifies for the Australian pension.To be considered as an Aged Parent, a male must be 65 years or more and for a female, the minimum age varies between 60 to 65 years of age.
Aged Parents can lodge their applications within Australia.
The applicant parent must also meet health and character requirements.
Successful applicants are granted a permanent residence visa. This entitles the parent to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, a resident return visa or another visa is needed).