Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants need to be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

Applicants can be sponsored by their child (if aged over 18) or child’s partner. If the child is under 18 years of age, the applicant can be sponsored by the child’s relative or guardian or a community organisation.


Get In Touch

  • Requirements

    Applicants must:

    • hold a temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
    • have a child who is
      • an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen (subclass 173)
      • lawfully resident in Australia for about two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)
    • meet the balance-of-family test.


    Successful applicants are granted a permanent residence visa. This entitles the contributory parent to:

    • stay in Australia indefinitely
    • work and study in Australia
    • enroll in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
    • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
    • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
    • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, a resident return visa or another visa is needed)
    • have an accepted assurance of support
    • meet health and character requirements

Popular Countries