Children eligible for this visa must be:
- sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner
- younger than 18 years of age, or:
- a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or
- 18 or older and unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the
- sponsoring parent.
The child (applicant) must be:
- the biological child or adopted child of the sponsoring parent
- a step child who has not turned 18 of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child.
An adopted child must have been adopted before his/her parent became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The child can include his/her own dependent children in this application. This is a permanent residence visa.
It allows the child to:
- travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted