To be eligible for this visa, applicants must :
- be sponsored by a relative or partner who lives in Australia
- demonstrate that they have been wholly or substantially dependent on the relative in Australia for financial support for basic needs of food, shelter and clothing or because they have a disability which prevents them from working. This support must have been continuing for at least three (3) years.
- meet the age requirements
- not have a spouse or de facto partner
- have someone who will provide an assurance of support
- meet health and character requirements.
Successful applicants are granted a permanent visa. It allows the holder and family to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five (5)years from the date the visa is granted