Temporary work visas under Tier 5 are usually granted to persons with a certificate of sponsorship from a licenced sponsor to work in the UK for a particular authorised purpose, usually for up to one or two years. The main Tier 5 categories are detailed below.
Skilled workers can also apply under Tier 2. Tier 2 (General) is for those who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the UK workforce that cannot be filled by a UK resident or citizen and can be valid for 3 years.
Other categories include:
- Tier 5 – Youth mobility scheme (for certain countries’ nationals only; not applicable to citizens of Sri Lanka)
- Tier 2 – Intra company transfer
- Work permits (closed category)
- Ministers of religion, missionaries and members of religious orders (closed category)
- Members of airport-based operational ground staff of an overseas-owned airline (closed category)
See also UK Migration.