This visa is for visiting the UK for general purposes, including for a holiday or to visit friends or relatives.
The applicant must meet the following criteria:
- be aged 18 or over;
- only want to visit the United Kingdom for up to six months, or up to 12 months if accompanying an academic visitor;
- intend to leave the United Kingdom at the end of the visit;
- have enough money to support and accommodate self and any dependants travelling on the same application without working or help from public funds, or be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
- be able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
- not be in transit to a country outside the common travel area.
The applicant must also show that, during the visit, he/she does not intend to:
- take employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
- undertake a course of study;
- marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
- carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or
- receive private medical treatment.
Successful applicants can stay in the UK for up to six months or 12 months for academic visitors.