This visa is similar to the Australian Skilled Independent Visa but requires less points for skills and experience and involves state sponsorship. For this, sponsorship from an Australian state or territory government is required. In addition to the same criteria for
age, English language ability, occupation, health and character requirements, applicants must meet the criteria set by the particular state or territory, such as:
- An occupation in shortage in that state/territory
- Skills and work experience in that occupation.
An expression of interest may be submitted, which Australian employers or government may view to select employees and invite them to apply. Requirements Applicants must also have:
- nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- not yet turned 50 years of age
- achieved the score specified in the letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- at least competent English
- been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency.
- met health requirements
- met character requirements
Successful applicants receive a permanent residence visa. It allows the holder and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that a resident return visa or another visa is required).