The Australian Skilled Independent Visa, allows migrants to live and work in Australia without a job or sponsorship. Eligibility for the general skilled migration is assessed on skills and work experience, based on meeting the required points under a points system.
- be under 50 years of age
- meet the minimum requirement for English competency
- nominate and hold a skilled assessment for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List at the time of your application
- provide evidence of recent employment in a skilled occupation or have recently completed the Australian Study requirement
- meet health requirements
- meet character requirements.
Successful applicants get a permanent residence visa. It allows the applicant and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that a resident return visa is required).