Free Online Assessment

Part Time Work

Students from outside the European Union, can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week in term time and up to 40 hours during vacations, provided that the stamp in your passport does not include a prohibition on working.

There is a compulsory government tax that is automatically deducted from your pay if you earn more than £110 each week. You will usually have to pay about 11% of your pay.
If you don’t already have a National Insurance number, your employer may issue you with a temporary one so you can start work, but you will need to get a permanent one. Some employers will ask you to get a National Insurance number before you can start working for them.

There are several types of part-time jobs that are available the most common type of part-time job worked by most foreigners living in Britain is in a restaurant or a bar. Most restaurant businessmen are always searching for workers who can be hired for compensation. Other part-time work can include loading containers or boxes, a sales clerk at a shop or departmental store or to manage the books of a company. Front desk managers, receptionists and phone dealers are also always in demand. Online jobs are another option of employment and can be much more flexible as you can create input any time. The pay may also be better with consideration to the duties. Skill in writing, expertise in computer graphics and use of computer software programs can be fundamental in getting a good Internet based part-time job.

Minimum wage

The following rates apply for 2013:

  • The main rate for workers aged 21 and over is £6.31 an hour.
  • The rate for 18-21 year olds is £5.03 an hour.
  • The rate for 16-17 year old is £3.72 an hour.
  • The minimum rate for an apprentice is £2.68.